All it takes is one. One person with passion to create a chorus that will be a life-changer for so many women. Are you the one?
You’d be amazed by the unlimited opportunities and once-in-a-lifetime experiences Sweet Adelines International members experience each week within their chorus.
Dive into this incredible opportunity to build a Sweet Adelines International chorus through our chorus-chartering program. The program is designed to assist and inspire you throughout the chartering process.
International Headquarters provides a wealth of information and assistance to you, and experienced members from your region are eager to assist and support your chartering efforts. These contacts are invaluable to the success of your new chorus.
Chartering a chorus requires a $125 payment, broken down into three installments:
- $25 in Step One
- $25 in Step Two
- $75 at time of charter
For a complete list of prospective chapter fees, click here.
To find out more, request a complimentary introductory packet. If you would like to start building your chorus right away, complete the Request for Prospective Status form and return it to Linda Davis.
Steps to Chartering
Welcome to the journey! From the time Step One is granted, your prospective chorus has a three-year time limit to reach Step Two. We are happy to help along the way! Within the three years, the chorus focuses on building membership and singing abilities. With guidance from your regional leaders and International Headquarters, the three-year time limit offers sufficient time for growth and a compelling goal to drive your chorus forward.
Step One includes the following objectives:
- Select a chapter name
- Select a chorus director
- Schedule introductory rehearsals and meetings
- Secure a permanent rehearsal location
- Apply for an EIN with the IRS (U.S. chapters only)
- Invite the regional membership coordinator for an administrative visit and the regional education coordinator for a musical visit
- Complete the Request for Step Two form and return it with the second $25 charter fee installment
Upon receipt of the Request for Prospective Status form, a Steps Program Kit with Step One materials is mailed to the chorus contact. These valuable resources assist prospective chorus leaders with designing a wide array of plans that are essential for building a prospective chorus for the women in your area.
Step One materials include:
- Sheet music and learning CDs
- Membership recruitment materials, including membership brochures
- Step One Booklet, a comprehensive “how to” prospective chorus guide with helpful information ranging from:
- Finding a chorus director
- Holding an introductory meeting
- Planning the first and second rehearsals
- Planning for guests
- Basic Criteria for Public Performance
- Barbershop techniques
- Teaching barbershop harmony
- Auditioning procedures
- Copyright and music licenses
- Chapter Guide, a handbook providing a thorough overview of efficient chapter management
- Real Guide to Growth, a handbook that contains the latest membership recruitment and retention tools for public relations and marketing efforts
- Access to the members only online marketing center with a large assortment of educational and campaign resources, such as:
- Professionally designed print and web templates available for local customization with your prospective chorus’s contact information
- Pre-written press templates to customize and distribute locally
- Webinars (web-based seminars) available on demand with topics by expert trainers
- Training library with educational articles, handbooks and tools
After successfully completing the established objectives in Step One, prospective choruses move into Step Two by submitting the Request for Step Two form to International Headquarters. The total time allowed to complete Step Two is two years. This allows ample time for your chorus to prepare for its charter.
Step Two includes the following objectives:
- Create and vote on chapter standing rules and bylaws
- Gain enough members to charter (at least 15 plus director)
- Escrow money for chapter membership
- Choose a chapter government and elect officers
- Fulfill a second musical and administrative visit from the regional membership coordinator and regional education coordinator
- Submit all forms necessary to charter, pay the third and final $75 charter fee installment and international dues for each member
The materials in the Step Two package help prospective chorus leaders develop sound administrative procedures quickly, efficiently and effectively so the chorus can spend the majority of its time singing.
Step Two materials include:
- Sheet music and learning CDs
- Step Two Booklet, a comprehensive “how to” prospective chorus guide with helpful administrative information ranging from:
- Developing chapter standing rules
- Determining membership eligibility
- Establishing dues and fees
- Forming chapter government
- Setting goals
- Regional visits
- Preparing to charter
- "Policy Book," a publication of Sweet Adelines International policies and bylaws
- Membership Kit, including all of the forms necessary to charter
Forms to get started: