2018 Election of International Board of Directors
THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF POTENTIAL NOMINEE APPLICATIONS AT INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS IS MAY 3, 2018.
The International Board of Directors functions as the governing and decision-making body of the organization. The Board elects the officers of the corporation. The International Board of Directors has authority to do all things necessary to fulfill the purpose of the organization, including strategic planning, the levying of fees and the execution of contracts. Board members work with the international headquarters staff to monitor and administer the organization’s programs. The Corporate Services department serves as the official staff liaison to the International Board. If you would like to send a message to the International President or a member of the International Board, please contact this department at email@example.com.
January is the time to start thinking about choosing potential nominees who, if nominated and elected, will serve the 2019-2022 International Board of Directors term. It is each chapter's opportunity to participate in the selection of potential nominees for the International Board of Directors. Look at the leaders in your chorus, your region, and the Sweet Adelines world with an eye toward their potential as members of the International Board. Each chapter board of directors or management team may recommend potential nominees to the chapter; however, the actual selections should be made by vote of the chapter membership. The nomination and slate selection process is described in the Policy Book, Section V, Divisions A-C and in the Chapter Guide, Section XI.
When a chapter has selected potential nominees who have the qualifications listed below, the International Board of Directors 2018 Potential Nominee Application is to be completed by each potential nominee. The Good Standing Statement portion of the application should be completed and signed by two Chapter Officers and mailed or emailed to the Corporate Secretary at International Headquarters.
The IDEAL potential nominee’s qualifications should include the following:
• The ability to think strategically, analytically, critically and creatively
• The ability to effectively express thoughts and the reasons for them, via both verbal and written communication
• Positive, objective attitude
• The ability to work well on her own and with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience to the mission and policies of Sweet Adelines International
• Good listening skills
• Knowledge of and ability to use available resources
• Computer skills, with ability to communicate electronically
• Possession of earned respect of other key stakeholder group members (for example, International Board of Directors, Regional Leaders, committee/task force chairs, etc.)
• Demonstrates an understanding of the difference between “oversight” and “supervision”
• Vision and long-range planning experience
• Ability to adapt easily to different environments
• Ability to relate to and interact with a variety of personality types
• Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, confidentiality and honesty
• Training and experience in a field which could be of value to the International Board
• Experience in Sweet Adelines International as a chapter, regional or International officer, committee/task force chair or member
• A demonstrated understanding of Sweet Adelines bylaws, policy and working practices, related to both governance and the mission of Sweet Adelines International
• Thorough understanding of the mission and vision of Sweet Adelines International to define and pursue goals, and to carry out the aims of the international organization
• Will make a personal financial contribution to SA to nurture the culture of philanthropy
• Professional appearance and dress
• Availability to travel and attend the three annual meetings of the International Board of Directors
The Corporate Bylaws provide for a three-year term of office for members of the International Board of Directors. In 2018, eight nominees will be chosen and four directors will be elected. During its 2018 meeting, the Nominating Committee will carefully consider all the nominee applications received from the chapters and from members of the committee. After all potential nominees’ qualifications have been discussed the Nominating Committee will select eight nominees.
Information on these nominees will be provided in The Pitch Pipe and online so that all members have a chance to familiarize themselves with the candidates. Ballots containing the names of the eight nominees will be sent to the chapters, Chapter-at-Large members, and Members-at-Large in October 2018. Chapters are requested to schedule their election meetings for International Board members in October or early November 2018. All official ballots must be cast by 3:00 p.m. Central Time on November 28, 2018.
Remember that you play a vital role in the selection of this most critically important group! THE DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF POTENTIAL NOMINEE APPLICATIONS AT INTERNATIONAL HEADQUARTERS IS MAY 3, 2018.
Please click on the following link to access the 2018 International Board of Directors Potential Nominee Application information.
Download Frequently Asked Questions – Board Election by clicking here. Questions or comments about the election for International Board of Directors should be directed to the Corporate Services department at International headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Election of International Board of Directors
The election to select members to serve on the International Board of Directors concluded Wednesday, December 6, 2017, and following the election, the International Board of Directors appointed two additional members to the International Board of Directors. The following members will begin their term on May 1, 2018, and will serve along with the continuing members of the Board:
Sharon Cartwright, Northern Beaches Chorus, Region 34 – serving a three-year elected term May 1, 2018, to April 30, 2021
Janice McKenna, Pacific Sound Chorus, Region 13 – serving a three-year elected term May 1, 2018, to April 30, 2021
Thérèse Antonini, North Metro Chorus, Region 16 – serving a one-year appointed term May 1, 2018, to April 30, 2019
Joan Boutilier, River City Sound Chorus, Region 3 – serving a one-year appointed term May 1, 2018, to April 30, 2019