Steps For Chorus Chartering
Want to start a chorus? We can help!
Don't miss the incredible opportunity to build a Sweet Adelines International chorus in your community through our chorus-chartering program! The STEPS program is designed to assist and inspire you throughout the chartering process. At Sweet Adelines International, we provide you with the tools to start a chorus from the very beginning, and we offer a team of professional and knowledgeable staff to work alongside you each STEP of the way.
To find out more, request a complimentary introductory packet. If you would like to start building your chorus right away, complete the Request for Prospective Status form and return it to the Membership Department.
For a complete list of prospective chapter fees, click here.
Steps to Chartering
Welcome to the journey! From the time Step One is granted, your prospective chorus has a three-year time limit to reach Step Two. With guidance from your regional leaders and international headquarters, the three-year time limit offers sufficient time for growth and a compelling goal to drive your chorus forward. No matter the size of your potential new chorus, your region and Headquarters will provide you with all you need to achieve the dream!
Step One includes the following objectives:
- Select a chapter name
- Select a chorus director
- Schedule introductory rehearsals and meetings
- Secure a permanent rehearsal location
- Apply for an EIN with the IRS (U.S. chapters only)
- Invite the regional membership coordinator for an administrative visit and the regional education coordinator for a musical visit
- Complete the Request for Step Two form and return it with the second $25 charter fee installment
After successfully completing the established objectives in Step One, prospective choruses move into Step Two after submitting the Request for Step Two form to international headquarters. The total time allowed to complete Step Two is two years. This allows ample time for your chorus to prepare for its charter.
Step Two includes the following objectives:
- Create and vote on chapter standing rules and bylaws
- Gain enough members to charter (at least 15 members plus director)
- Escrow money for chapter membership
- Choose a chapter government and elect officers
- Fulfill a second musical and administrative visit from the regional membership coordinator and regional education coordinator
- Submit all forms necessary to charter, pay the third and final $75 charter fee installment and international dues for each member
The materials in the Step Two package help prospective chorus leaders develop sound administrative procedures quickly, efficiently and effectively so the chorus can spend the majority of its time singing.
Forms to get started: